Week 1 - Hamble Point Marina to Falmouth                        Saturday 25th to Friday 31st May    

What a busy first week with so many highlights. From rescue helicopters using us as drill practice, breathtaking scenery, visiting family, wind rain and a little bit of sunshine its been great.

052513 6 Yarmouth Harbour Even we were rafted up to

We set sail out of Hamble Point Marina near Southampton on Saturday 25th. The sun was out and being a long weekend it appeared as if all of southern England had also decided to go for a sail. We motored for our first night to Yarmouth harbour on the Isle of Wight where we ended up on the Hailing Wall with a 50 foot Beneteau rafted up to us. We weren't complaining as most boats were rafted up to six deep and by 6pm the harbour had posted a full notice on the entrance.

052613 15 Lowering rescuer to Katherine

From Yarmouth we sailed west past the infamous Needles onto Portland Harbour where we regrouped with the family of Islay. Islay had patiently waited for us to arrive to assist us to refit our main sail but we had had a great day with ideal conditions allowing Andrew and I to refit the main whilst underway - it did take just over two hours and a lot of grunt but we were quite proud of our achievement once the main was back in place. Add to that whilst sailing with full main and gib in 17 knots we had Search and Rescue hover overhead and request to do a training drill. The helicopter manoeuvred in, lowered the rescue guy on our deck, he proceeded to have a chat whilst the helicopter did a loop then it was time to say goodbye                        - just like that - amazing.

Our sail from Portland harbour to Dartmouth was not such a nice day on the water - cold windy and unsettled seas saw Lee feeding the fish for the first time since crossing the Atlantic. Our arrival into Dartmouth just added to the day with strong gusts and tourist traffic making picking up the mooring mid stream somewhat challenging. With a little team work from near by boats we all ended up eventually on our moorings and grateful for a cup of tea. 

052813 4 Walking Dartmouth

In Dartmouth we were joined by the Uebergang family (Andrews cousin Fiona). Dartmouth was a huge highlight. The river Dart was so picturesque. We spent a day walking Dartmouth up to the castle and Andrew and I started the coastal walk with Fiona Jane and Harry but the downpour of hail and rain sent us scurrying back for shelter whilst the "locals" braved the conditions and continued on. The following day took the ferry to Greenway just up the River Dart to the summer home of Agatha Christie.

052913 13 Inside Sutton Lock

From Dartmouth we sailed to Plymouth with most of the Uebergang family - Rob drew the short straw and had to drive their car and meet us there. In Plymouth we encountered our first lock outside of Australia. The lock master was the happiest lock master we have ever encountered greeting all and particularly impressed to see an Aussie flag. Sutton Marina was right in the heart of the Barbican (old town) of Plymouth and particularly handy for doing the Plymouth Gin Distillery tour. 

As we left Plymouth (with a stock of Gin) we farewelled FIona Rob and kids as they returned to Diss and we made our way to Falmouth were we are now moored at the steps of the Falmouth Maritime Museum. We will have a couple of days here to catch up on cleaning, paperwork and get a little bit of sightseeing in as well.
Hard to believe it really has been only one week.

(Click for more photos)

© SV Katherine 2018      Cover Photo: Katherine on Anchor Isle Tabarca Spain